Introduction to the TI-RTOS Kernel Workshop
In association with...
Formerly known as SYS/BIOS or just BIOS, the TI-RTOS kernel is a real-time operating system (RTOS) used on most TI processor/MCU platforms—CC26XX, Cortex M3/M4, Cortex A8/9/15, MSP430, Multi-core (C66X), C6000 or C2000. If you are developing code for any of these platforms or any other processor that supports SYS/BIOS or the TI-RTOS kernel, this workshop will take you from zero to 80% fluent in just two days, saving weeks to months of development time. This class is also helpful to the ARM + DSP multi-core user who wants to understand the DSP "black box" and the RTOS (BIOS) running on that CPU (e.g. OMAPxx).
While working for Texas Instruments, Eric Wilbur created and taught this workshop to customers worldwide. Now, as a third-party consultant, he continues to offer this updated workshop to TI customers interested in learning TI-RTOS as well as Code Composer Studio (CCS) Integrated Development Environment (IDE).
Notes on Supported Products
The current TI-RTOS workshop supports the following products: CC2650, Tiva-C series, MSP430, C6000 and C28x. Because almost all materials/labs focus on TI-RTOS, not architecture, any user on any TI platform that supports TI-RTOS will learn a great deal about the kernel (SYS/BIOS).
- If you are an AM335x (ARM Cortex A8) user, with the exception of interrupts and timers, nearly 100% of what is covered in the workshop applies to this target.
- Any Keystone (C66x) user can learn SYS/BIOS in this workshop using the C6748 LCDK platform.
- For CC32xx/CC13xx devices, users can run their labs on the CC2650 Launchpad. Again, everything covered in the workshop is 100% applicable to these devices.
What You Learn
- Introduction to the TI-RTOS Kernel (aka SYS/BIOS) for all TI embedded processing users
- Working knowledge of the various TI-RTOS kernel thread types—Hwi, Swi, Task, Idle
- Learning how the hardware (interrupts and timers) interact with the RTOS
- Ability to create TI-RTOS kernel projects from scratch and learn the “ins and outs” of the tools
- Advanced training on services such as mailboxes, queues, mutexes, message queues, creating and using dynamic memory and threads, platforms, GEL files, etc.
- Extensive hands-on experience with TI tools including CCSv6.1+, compilers and linkers and, of course, the TI-RTOS Kernel
Live Workshop Info
Public Workshop: The TI-RTOS Kernel workshop is offered rarely as a live public workshop. Contact us to inquire about any upcoming workshop dates.
Dedicated Onsite: Companies needing to train 8 or more participants can schedule a dedicated onsite workshop. Contact us for pricing and scheduling.
Self-Paced Workshop Info
Clients not able to attend a live TI-RTOS workshop—either onsite or webinar—can choose self-paced learning by downloading the workshop materials (below) and completing the labs on their own. All training materials and lab procedures except for the lab and solution files may be downloaded at no charge. Lab/solution files can be purchased for $95 (see below). Because software updates happen frequently—new IDE versions, compilers, TI-RTOS SDKs, API changes, etc.—Mindshare Advantage updates all files on a quarterly basis and ensures that the latest tools are tested together with the lab/solution files to provide the user with the best self-paced experience.
Please note the following:
- Each individual desiring to complete the self-paced workshop must pay for his/her own lab and solution files. Lab and solution files are for individual use by the payee-registrant. "Sharing" or copying the labs and solution files for use by anyone other than the payee-registrant is a violation of copyright law.
- Payment in full is required to receive a link to downloadable lab and solution files. Payment is nonrefundable. Upon payment, you will receive a link that expires in 24 hours. Please note that the extension of this file is .123 to avoid some firewalls not allowing .zip downloads. Once you have downloaded the file, simply rename the file using the .zip extension and then unzip the files.
Consulting for TI-RTOS Workshop Questions
Mindshare Advantage offers phone or e-mail support for questions related to self-paced workshops at a prepaid rate $200/hour. To purchase consulting time, select the length of time below and click Purchase.
Please note that your payment in full constitutes agreement to the following terms and conditions.
- Consulting related to self-paced workshops (TI-RTOS, C6000) is offered over the phone or via email in 60-minute increments.
- Once payment is received, you will be contacted within one business day to schedule your consulting time.
- Consulting time will be scheduled as soon as possible and within 10 business day of payment.
- Consulting time is nonrefundable.
Tools You Need
For either the live or self-paced workshop, you will need your own development board and laptop with the proper tools loaded. At least one week prior to a live workshop, download the TI-RTOS Workshop Installation Guide (see below) and follow its procedures to download/install all TI-RTOS, driver library and CCS tools/software. Also, if you do not already have a development board, order one of the supported boards from the TI e-store.
TI-RTOS Workshop Materials/Files
Rev 2.3 December 2016
- Updated all labs and solution files to the latest TI-RTOS SDKs, compilers and CCSv6.2.0.
- Updated minor errata in all docs.
TI-RTOS Workshop Installation Guide PDF (download and complete prior to workshop)
Rev 2.3 (December 2016, 16 pages, 695K)
This installation guide covers all procedures to download/install all TI-RTOS, driver library and CCS tools/software. At least one week prior to the workshop, download this guide and complete its procedures.
Workshop Lab Files ZIP
Rev 2.3 (December 2016, 54 MB)
This file contains all of the updated workshop lab and solution files for all five architectures. Live workshop or webinar participants will be provided a link to the lab/solution files approximately one week prior to the workshop date. During the installation instructions, you will be instructed to download this file, extract the contents and place in a C:\TI_RTOS folder.
Self-paced Workshop Participants: Click the button below to purchase the lab/solution files. Upon purchase, you will receive a link to download the lab/solution files. This link expires in 24 hours. Please note that the extension of this file is .123 to avoid some firewalls not allowing .zip downloads. Once you have downloaded the file, simply rename the file using the .zip extension and then unzip the files.
Please note that these lab/solution files are for your individual use only and may not be redistributed in any way, including, but not limited to, selling, forwarding, sharing or distributing the files with any other person(s) or companies. Any commercial usage or any reselling or distributing of these files in any type of format is strictly prohibited and is a violation of copyright law.
During the installation instructions, you will be instructed to download this file, extract the contents and place in a C:\TI_RTOS folder.
Note: Outdated lab/solution files are available at no cost at the TI Training site here. Mindshare Advantage provides this link as a courtesy but does not offer support for these outdated lab/solution files.
Workshop Student Guide PDF
Rev 2.3 (December 2016, 340 pages, 16.2 MB)
The Workshop Student Guide includes all Powerpoint slides, lab procedures and complete documentation for each slide (like having the live instructor's words on every page). This new document plus the online videos provide everything you need to learn about the TI-RTOS kernel. This guide serves as a resource for students to review content and helps those who desire self-paced learning of TI-RTOS. Print this guide only if you desire to follow along while the instructor is teaching. This guide will not be provided in printed format to workshop participants.
Workshop Lab Manual PDF
Rev 2.3 (December 2016, 145 pages, 8.9 MB)
The lab manual includes only the lab procedures (no Powerpoint slides are included). This document will be provided in printed format for each workshop participant.