C6000 Embedded Design Using TI-RTOS Workshop
In association with...
The C6000 Embedded Design Workshop has been re-designed to follow the two-day Introduction to the TI-RTOS Kernel workshop, which focuses primarily on the TI-RTOS Kernel (SYS/BIOS) for all TI EP products (C6000, CC13xx/26xx/32xx, MSP43x, C28x and Tiva-C Series). This new C6000 2-day workshop then follows that workshop and dives into the details of the C6000 architecture that apply to single- and multi-core users.
If you are a C6000, multi-core (C66x) or OMAP user, you will gain valuable insight into the underlying O/S by taking the "Intro to TI-RTOS Kernel Workshop" first followed by this new two-day workshop focused solely on the C6000 architecture and optimization.
The C6000 workshop includes four chapters and three labs that span almost two days. The author has taken the StarterWare McASP application, ported it to a TI-RTOS kernel project and added a FIR filter to the audio path. This sets up a rich environment to learn concepts like the C6000 core architecture, C compiler optimizations, cache architecture and use as well as the fundamentals of the EDMA3 subsystem.
While working for Texas Instruments, Eric Wilbur created and taught this workshop to customers worldwide since 1997. Now, as a third-party consultant, he continues to offer this workshop to TI customers interested in learning and interacting with the C6000 architecture, tools, software and peripherals.
While this two-day workshop on the C6000 can be taught standalone, it is usually best to first take the two-day TI-RTOS Kernel workshop and then take this workshop as days three and four.
Which Workshop To Choose
Choose the TI-RTOS Kernel workshop if you are:
- Developing code for the C6000 DSP using SYS/BIOS or TI-RTOS and are new to the tools environments such as Code Composer Studio and SYS/BIOS (TI-RTOS kernel)
- ARM + DSP user who wants to understand the DSP "black box" and the RTOS (BIOS) running on that CPU
- CC13xx/CC26xx, MSP430, C28x, Tiva-C Series user who wants a deeper dive into the TI-RTOS Kernel (SYS/BIOS)
Choose the follow-on C6000 Embedded Design Workshop if you:
- Are well versed in the CCS IDE and creating/interacting with TI-RTOS (SYS/BIOS) projects
- Are a C6000 single or multi-core user—C66x, OMAP or C674x
- Need to know how to optimize code for C6000 targets
- Need help with platform files, GEL files, compiler
- Want to know details about how the EDMA3 works on these architectures
- Plan to use the cache provided on all C6000 devices
What You Learn
In addition to the topics covered in the TI-RTOS Kernel (SYS/BIOS) workshop, the two-day C6000 Embedded Design Workshop covers the following:
- Dynamic Memory Usage (Heaps)
- Intro to the C6000 devices and architecture (platform files, interrupts, GEL files, etc.)
- C Compiler Optimizations as well as system optimizations
- Using the C6000 cache efficiently
- How to use the EDMA3 subsystem to optimize data transfers
- Detailed labs using the McASP audio application included with StarterWare but enhanced to perform DSP FIR algorithms on the audio data.
Live Workshop Info
The C6000 Embedded Design workshop is offered as a dedicated onsite workshop, either stand-alone or as days three and four following the Introduction to the TI-RTOS Kernel workshop. Contact us for pricing and scheduling.
Self-Paced Workshop Info
Clients not able to schedule a dedicated onsite C6000 workshop can choose self-paced learning by downloading the workshop materials (below) and completing the labs on their own. All training materials and lab procedures except for the lab and solution files may be downloaded at no charge. Lab/solution files can be purchased below. Because software updates happen frequently—new IDE versions, compilers, TI-RTOS SDKs, API changes, etc.—Mindshare Advantage periodically updates all files and ensures that the latest tools are tested together with the labs/solution files to provide the user with the best self-paced experience.
Important Note: If you have already purchased the lab/solution files for TI-RTOS, you do NOT need to pay again. The additional labs (Lab 11-14) that are specific to this C6000 two-day workshop are contained in the TI-RTOS lab/solutions files. If you already paid to download those files, you have what you need. If you have not yet downloaded those files and desire to complete this workshop self-paced, click the button below to purchase the lab/solution files.
Please note the following:
- Each individual desiring to complete the self-paced workshop must pay for his/her own lab and solution files. Lab and solution files are for individual use by the payee-registrant. "Sharing" or copying the labs and solution files for use by anyone other than the payee-registrant is a violation of copyright law.
- Payment in full is required to receive a link to downloadable lab and solution files. Payment is nonrefundable. Upon payment, you will receive a link that expires in 24 hours. Please note that the extension of this file is .123 to avoid some firewalls not allowing .zip downloads. Once you have downloaded the file, simply rename the file using the .zip extension and then unzip the files.
Consulting for C6000 Self-Paced Workshop Questions
Mindshare Advantage offers phone or e-mail support for questions related to self-paced workshops at a prepaid rate listed below. To purchase consulting time, select the length of time below and click Purchase.
Please note that your payment in full constitutes agreement to the following terms and conditions.
- Consulting related to self-paced workshops (TI-RTOS, C6000) is offered over the phone or via email in 60-minute increments.
- Once payment is received, you will be contacted within one business day to schedule your consulting time.
- Consulting time will be scheduled as soon as possible and within 10 business day of payment.
- Consulting time is nonrefundable.
What To Bring
You will need to bring your own development board and laptop with the proper tools loaded. At least one week prior to the workshop, you will be provided with links to the lab/solution files if you have paid the workshop tuition. Also, if you do not already have a development board, order one of these supported boards and emulators from the TI e-store. You only need ONE board and ONE emulator.
TI-RTOS & C6000 Workshop Materials/Files
Rev 2.3 December 2016
- All lab and solution files have been updated to use audio on the latest development boards – C6748 LCDK and OMAPL138 LCDK
- All slides and lab procedures have been updated to the latest TI-RTOS SDK and IDE (CCS v6.2.0)
TI-RTOS Workshop Installation Guide PDF (download and complete prior to workshop)
Rev 2.3 (December 2016, 16 pages, 695K)
This installation guide covers all procedures to download/install all TI-RTOS, driver library and CCS tools/software. This guide also covers the specific tools needed for the C6000 Embedded Design Workshop. At least one week prior to the workshop, download this guide and complete its procedures.
Workshop Lab and Solution Files
Rev 2.3 (December 2016, 54 MB)
This zip file contains all of the workshop lab and solution files for all five architectures including the latest audio-based C6000 files. Once you have paid tuition for the self-paced or live workshop, you will be provided with a link to these files.
Self-paced Workshop Participants: Click the button below to purchase the lab/solution files. Note: If you have already purchased the lab/solution files for TI-RTOS, you do NOT need to pay again. The additional labs (Lab 11-14) that are specific to this C6000 two-day workshop are contained in the TI-RTOS lab/solutions files. Upon purchase, you will receive a link to download the lab/solution files. This link expires in 24 hours. Please note that the extension of this file is .123 to avoid some firewalls not allowing .zip downloads. Once you have downloaded the file, simply rename the file using the .zip extension and then unzip the files.
Please note that these lab/solution files are for your individual use only and may not be redistributed in any way, including, but not limited to, selling, forwarding, sharing or distributing the files with any other person(s) or companies. Any commercial usage or any reselling or distributing of these files in any type of format is strictly prohibited and is a violation of copyright law.
During the installation instructions, you will be instructed to download this file, extract the contents and place in a C:\TI_RTOS folder.
Note: Outdated lab/solution files are available at no cost at the TI Training site here. Mindshare Advantage provides this link as a courtesy but does not offer support for these outdated lab/solution files. (They are based on the LogicPD OMAP-L138 EK and have not been updated to the latest CCS, compiler, TI-RTOS SDKs, and will not match the lab descriptions in the updated manuals on this page.)
Workshop Student Guide PDF
Rev 2.3 (December 2016, 164 pages, 6.8 MB)
The Workshop Student Guide includes all Powerpoint slides and lab procedures. This guide, along with the lab/solution files serves as a resource for live workshop students to review content and helps those who desire self-paced learning of C6000. Print this guide only if you desire to follow along while the instructor is teaching. This guide will not be provided in printed format to workshop participants.
Workshop Lab Manual PDF
Rev 2.3 (December 2016, 36 pages, 2.1 MB)
The lab manual includes only the lab procedures (no Powerpoint slides are included). This document will be provided in printed format for each live workshop participant.